Sunday, October 16

My bond with Bond



I've recently finished reading Roger Moore's autobiography 'My Word is my Bond', kindly given to me from a good friend as a birthday gift. As a result, I'm now in a terribly Bond-ish mood and am currently reading/watching lots of crap to do with the franchise.

I won't get too much into my love of James Bond, but I am a huge fan. I can't really remember my first time watching Bond, or where the fascination actually originated but I can remember doing a project focused around the Bonds, villains and henchmen way back in Year 4, making me 9. I also remember a year long argument with a friend of mine in Year 9, particularly in German lessons where we'd sit near each other. The argument focused, quite commonly, around who was the better Bond - Sean Connery or Roger Moore. I'm sure you can imagine which side I defended!

It's probably because Roger Moore was the first Bond I saw in action, and despite the fact people moan he was too light-hearted, too cliché, too wooden bla bla bla, I simply enjoy his films Moore. There's no doubt that Sean's Bond was closer to Fleming's, far more hard-edged and focused on his mission and there's also no doubt he did some amazing Bond films (one of my favourite Bond films being From Russia With Love). He is to many the definitive Bond, unmatchable. Well, in some ways I think this is just down to him being the first Bond, but in other ways I'll happily accept he was the best Bond. I don't care too much really, I just enjoy the films. (My Year 9, 14 year old self would be so angry right about now.)

Anyways, after reading his autobiography, my appreciation of Roger Moore has somehow climbed to new levels. I can't really explain how so, despite the fact I've now just read through his entire life. I guess the thing I like most about the book, and I'm sure this is the same with most of people admiring their favourite celebrities, is just how normal they are. It's stupid to think they're on some different plane of existence, but upon reading that Roger has a huge sense of toilet humour and throughout his life made many pranks and jokes, I find him even more likeable.

As an end note, here's a picture of Roger Moore adorned with another amazing thing - a moustache!


Expect more Bond-focused posts to come, by the way. Certain ideas are brewing in my head - Top 11 Bond moments/films/character/something? Or even a Bond film marathon, with a review on here after each one? Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment